Some of the readers ask for the recipe of the Teochew Braise Pork (sweet type).
I ask my wife whether she could help me to type out the recipe...
It is your lucky day .. and she was in good mood.
Hope you like it and happy cooking.....
(if you feel that there is something missing/improvement in the recipe do drop some comments)
My wife still a beginner
- One strip of "fah yuk" – about RM8 (sorry don't know how many grams .. kakakaka)
- 2 cinnamon stick “guai pei”,
- 4 cloves of star anise “bat kok”,
- 2 whole garlic (with skin)
- 2 tablespoon of soya sauce,
- black soya sauce - to your liking (I use about 1.5 teaspoon)
- Rock sugar – 2 small pieces
- 2 bowl of water
- 3 Hardboiled Egg ( optional, quantity up to your own liking) - SP love to eat EGGS..
- Hard tofu, cubed into 4 big pieces ( optional, quantity up to your own liking),
Boil the pork in another pot to get rid of the fat and muddy things.
Heat up the clay pot with a bit of oil and then throw in the garlic to fry for a while then add in the cinnamon stic and star anice.
Add in 2 bowl of water (if you want more sauce you can put 3 bowl if your claypot is big enough), soya sauce, black soya sauce and bring it to boil.
Once the sauce is boiled, put the pork in.
Wait for it to boil again then switch to low heat (small fire) and simmer with lid close
About 20-30 minutes later, put in the rock sugar and hard boil egg and hard tofu. And then let it boil till the sauce become thick without the cover, roughly will take about 30-40 minutes.
When it’s done, take out the meat and cut into smaller bite size.
Don't throw away the leftover sauce, bring it to boil and store in the freezer. Next round when you want to make braise pork, just add in the sauce on top of the water. (It will taste much better)